a tunnel from my window to yours

my little life

Saturday, September 23, 2006

I want to write a huge ol' post about my trip to the Bay Area but I don't have access to my photos here at R.M. House so it'll have to wait. It was a wonderful trip, but I was very happy to come home. I've been extremely busy with school work this week and I think it may continue for the next few weeks : ( I like the work, but I like having time for other things as well, such as seeing friends. I've been very productive since coming home, so maybe I'll be able to get the majority of my work done here today and tomorrow.

The afterschool program went much better this week. I'm still not 100% sure it's going to work out, but I have a bit more hope about it.

I'm really excited about all of my classes still, especially race and class in american photography. This week we looked at the work of three black photogrphers: Teenie Harris, James Van Der Zee, and P.H. Polk. Here's some of their work:

Teenie Harris



(for some reason, I can't add any of Teenie's photos right now...that's sad. Does Blogger have a new image limit that I am unaware of? I'll try again later)

James Van De Zee


Van Der Zee was known for his beautiful extravegant portraits of the black middle and upper class in Harlem.

It's kind of hard to see, but the image of the little girl is superimposed. The title of this is "Future Expextations."

P.H. Polk



Polk worked for the Tuskeegee Instsitute. He photographed ex-slaves. I love the high contrast and rich shades of his photographs.


1 Comments:

Blogger Rosemeyer said...

Teenie is the best, he's the best.

3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home