a tunnel from my window to yours

my little life

Saturday, December 16, 2006

I wanted to write about a lovely day I had this past week. It started with something very small. The library had lost a cd that I had returned so I was going to have to pay a replacement fee. This isn't the first time this has happned to me and I wasn't too pleased about it since I knew I had returned it, but I figured it was a small price to pay for how much I use the library. The woman assisting me alerted me again to this missing item and I told her I returned it but obviously there was no way to prove it so I was planning on paying the fee. She wasn't very nice (which is suprisingly the case with many of the library workers), but she did write down the call number and told me I could check for myself to see if it was mistakenly returned without being checked back in, although she assured me that the "claims returned" people had probably already checked several times. I went with zero hope of finding the cd and as I flipped through the cds I knew what I was doing was pointless until...there it was!!!! I was obviously happy because I wouldn't have to pay the $20 fee and a small part of me was happy because I was right. I'm not normally the type that cares about being right, but I'd had enough of these snide library employees and I really wanted to go back to the woman I had talked to earlier and say, "Hmm, I guess your "claims return" people missed this!" and throw the cd in her face! I really shouldn't have such hostility towards the people who work at the library, a lot of them are really nice and helpful and even enthusiastic. And Tessa, if you're reading this, I'm sure you're not the smug, rude librarian that I'm discribing. But it's definitely a trend I've been noticing and I don't like it.

I left the library triumphant and headed over to the Cathedral to pick up a paper from my Children and Cultures class. This is the paper I spent the majority of the month of November writing and had almost lost when there was a power outage and nearly had a nervous breakdown until Jay saved the day and found it with his magical recovery program. It was also the most excited I have ever been about a project and I really enjoyed the whole process (besides the night I thought I had lost it). I found my t.a.'s office without a problem (I have an abnormal fear of finding rooms in large buildings and ending up in the wrong place; I check my class schedule continuously) and found my paper. Like Beth, I also like to be evaluated and critiqued and getting feedback from teachers and one of my biggest frustrations is when I get a paper or project back with no comments, just a grade. I definitely respond well to positive feedback, although it can make me feel awkward as well. Because I put so much effort and energy into this paper and was really passionate about the topic, the comments (which were very nice) meant a lot more. I floated out of the Cathedral and was so happy that the sunny warm weather matched my mood.

To celebrate, I bought myself a bag of chocolate covered pretzels and walked around Squirrel Hill for an hour. I ended up at the newer tea shop where I had lavender lemonade. It was lovely. While I was there I watched/listened to two women who were shyly, but so obviously enjoying each other's company. I think that is one of the most beautiful things in the world.

Then it was time for work at the afterschool program. One of my favorite kids (you can't help but have favorites), came over to me as soon as he came into the cafeteria, grabbed my hand, and said, "My brother said that Ms Jones is the nicest teacher and I told him that he was wrong. I told him that you were the nicest because you always help people." Written out it doesn't sound like much. I know that kids say stuff like that all the time and I would never tell any of the other people I work with because they'd probably tell me they always hear stuff like that, but it made my heart goosh out onto the floor. Like I said in my last massive post, I've really come to love the kids I work with and I'm looking forward to working with them four to five days a week next semester compared to the two I've been doing this semester.

After work, I went back to Pitt to rewatch a film, Sans Soleil, for my Documentary Film class. This film is incredible, even better the second time through. A very enjoyable way to end my wonderful day.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tessa said...

I've also noticed the tendency for clerks and librarians to be suspicious and rude to people. It's sad. I don't know whether it's just that they're being defensive and they feel uncomfortable about that part of their job or whether their just jaded and mean to begin with. I do think that there should be a better system for verifying returns, though.

9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home