jay and i had a nice day yesterday. we had thai food for lunch at thai gourmet ( a fantastically great restuarant that we all need to go to for lunch sometime). i haven't been there in ages and the waitress still remembered my order (nam prick with tofu, sooooo good!) and we had some of the greatest thai iced tea ever. then we went to whole foods to get some odds and ends for our dinner (our valentine's day standard, seafood alfredo). on the way home, my foot was killing me and i realized that my second to last toe on the right foot was swollen enormously. i'm pretty sure that i broke it on sunday night when i opened a kitchen cabinet door into it. so i had to/ have to keep it elevated (which is boring me and adding even more to my midwinter laziness). so we had to cancel our plans to go to the movies, but had just as good of a time lying around watching movies at home (see our movie blog). then we had dinner and watched another movie which ended just as bethy called to be picked up at school. it was a simple but enjoyable day. i wish i had done things for my friends, but that aforementioned midwinter laziness is killing me.
i have to admit, i'm kind of disgusted by a lot of people's negativity towards valentine's day. i will be the first to admit that ALL holidays are super commercialized amd that it is sick how much money people will spend and how much is made. however, i am (as i have stated before) very in favor of holidays and any other event that creates some sort of shared celebration. it's nice to know that couples and other groups of friends and family are getting together to celebrate, of all things that should be celebrated, love. why are customs and rituals looked upon as something depressing and meaningless? if anything, these days make me feel more alive and more connected to other people than ordinary days. they put a little bit of meaning back into my life. is it a shame that often holidays are the only time i see some of my family? of course. is it disgusting who we are inundated by overpriced tripe that we are expected to buy for holidays? certainly. but we don't have to buy into (literally and figuritively) the commercial side of the holidays. there is so much to enjoy and celebrate. that's why this year i actually watched the super bowl, even though i could care less about sports and i do think that waaayyy to much is put into a meaningless game. it brought people together. yeah, i could list a bunch of reasons why it is upsetting that people will come together for something that is nothing, but at least people were together and sharing time together.
maybe i'm missing something that should make me angry as these people who i often agree with, but my inital reaction (and perhaps not very well thought out) is sadness that people let the commercialization of holidays turn them bitter towards them.
as a side note, i'm not being a complete jerk and saying that everyone should always enjoy every holiday. i know that for some people certain holdays bring back painful memories, such as jay's family and thanksgiving. and if your heart just got its teeth smashed in by love, i can understand being a little bitter on valentine's day. i just think that people are sometimes missing out on celebrations that can bring us together and add some joy to everyday life. if anyone has anything to add to this or disagree with, feel free to comment!


2 Comments:
Em, I personally have no problem with Valentine's day. I hope my scary 'cards'/ "happy st.shumcks day" didn't give you that impression. While I've never really spent the day with a 'boyfriend' figure, I do enjoy seeing the special people in my life. I like that mom always buys us our favorite candy and the $20 gramma always slips us in an overly cheesy card. Not because I need to recieve things to feel loved but because I know it makes them happy to do it (and I feel special inturn because I know they thought of me and they care.) "[I]f anything, these days make me feel more alive and more connected to other people than ordinary days" I totally agree with this statement. Being shy, "special" days give me a reason to talk to strangers and share smiles.
I also feel you should go back to school because your writing is passionate and motivated.
And I also hope your toe gets better...
thanks all around beth...i honestly wasn't thinking of many people in particular when i wrote this, it just seems like a general feeling i have gotten from people over the past few years. but no, i wasn't thinking of you at all, especially after your valentine making spree!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home