a tunnel from my window to yours

my little life

Sunday, November 02, 2008

Today was one of the best days in recent recollection. Nothing extraordinary happened: I spent time with Jason and my family and friends, but something about it was so pleasant. I think part of it was I finally took the family portraits I've been trying to take since my photography class started. I also took a ton of photos of Beth in leaves which I am really excited about. I'll post some soon.

The only bad part of my day was that when I got Tram's takeout they forgot my plum sauce and basil for my pho. Heartbreaking I know. But it really does make the pho. I also ordered a drink called salted lemon which was a huge mistake. Beth said it tasted like lemon Pine-sol if Pine-sol was edible. I was just disturbed by the fact that it had ice in it but was somehow warm. But I am now motivated to try to make my own salted lemon drink; I think if it were made with actual lemons, not Wyler's lemonade mix, it could be quite tasty. And some upcoming wintery day I am going to attempt to make my own pho.

4 Comments:

Blogger bethany said...

the true test is if you can make your own plum sauce...
i hope the leave photos turn out well! and all your film photos for that matter!

11:23 PM  
Blogger Seth Revelle said...

Vegetarian Pho, or beef stock based? It seems (to me) that it would be pretty much impossible to make pho w/o starting with beef bones.....

10:43 AM  
Blogger emsley said...

If you want to be technical, you could say that this isn't actually pho. I guess calling pho without the beef broth is akin to calling chunks of seitan slathered in buffalo sauce, wings (which I found out this week that some people find this near sacrilegious!) I'm all about flavors so the sauce always made the wings for me and the lime, plum sauce, basil, anise, etc is what I like about pho. I suppose instead I could call my "wings" flavored chunks of seitan and my "pho" pho-inspired vegetarian Vietnamese soup, but that's just a lot of words and for me, both of these capture what I liked about the original recipes minus the meat that I don't like.

Sorry if I seem all up in arms over this, your question didn't bother me, it was more the girl who flipped out over the whole wing thing : )

7:30 AM  
Blogger Seth Revelle said...

You don't seem all up in arms. You should send me your recipe if you end up making your own; my grandmother is maybe coming into town for Christmas and Jack's wife is vegetarian; so I would be interested in what ingredients you use in the base.

In other Emily (inspired) news; we have a new accountant here (Dawn) who I enjoy working with; and when Kim got a chance to meet her; she said that Dawn reminded her of you. :)

2:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home